Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Why did Shane shoot Otis in the leg?

Discussion in 'Episode 202 - Bloodletting' started by Kevlar, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Shinra

Shinra Member

I get what you mean. There are just some situations where I'm not expecting the "perfect" decision, just not an idiotic decision. I even thought while watching it:
    "Hey hey hey, wait a minute, what about for coming back OUT of that storeroom? They won't be looking at the flares anymore, they'll have burned out!"
    I'd have expected better out of Shane. There are plenty of silly decisions I'll sympathize with on the show, like Rick riding a horse into Atlanta. Yeah, he thought there was a refugee center in Atlanta and he'd never encountered such a large group of zombies before so I can forgive a mistake like that, it's human. There are a few that just seem brainless though. I get why they were written though - if they hadn't been stupid and done the flare thing, they very likely wouldn't have been caught and we wouldn't have had all the school scenes, which were some of my favourite in the show. They didn't take the extra time to come up with a way they could've been cornered aside from them making a stupid decision though, so I'm allowed to go "HEY I'M SHANE HEPR DERP I DO STUPID THINGS HURR!" in this case.

EDIT: Also love The Mist. I found that was more of a character study of humanity and how we break down and go basically insane when put in a tight spot. The Walking Dead hasn't really done that to that extreme though. Maybe it would've been interesting if they had! But I'm liking Rick Grime's character arc as he spirals down and down.

#41 Shinra, May 9, 2013
    Last edited: May 9, 2013
  2. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

Rick would have come away from that school like Forrest Gump carrying Bubba. He wouldn't have shot an innocent man in the leg and let him be eaten by zombies just to save himself :p

3. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

Exactly, "hindsight is 20/20"...how many times have we kicked ourselves for making the wrong decision? I like that they portray that in the show.

4. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

Same here. These are average people, not people trained in survival. These are pizza delivery boys, paralegals, house-wives, etc. If they didn't make a stupid decision now and then the show would be superficial.

5. Shinra

Shinra Member

People are jumping on with this, even though my example was pointing out the stupid planning of Shane.

Shane does not fall into these categories:

6. Neuropyramidal

I wasn't even talking to you. You need a lot of attention, don't you.

7. Shinra

Shinra Member

Well, since this conversation about characters making stupid decisions on the show was sparked by TheGoldenOliver replying to my complaint, that was a natural assumption.

There was no need to add this though:
    My last reply wasn't even worded with any offense or malice behind it. Who the f*ck do you think you are?

8. Neuropyramidal

Don't get mad, bro.

9. Shinra

Shinra Member

2/10 try again.

10. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

I agree with this part of what you said - that's why in my first post (where I make a very intelligent reference to Forrest Gump and Bubba) I said that Rick wouldn't have done the same thing. They were both trained in hostile situations (not exactly ZA though) and they both took on trusted leader roles in the group. If Rick would have been there, he would have found a better way to keep both of them alive like you suggested. But it was Shane, and he chose to shoot Otis in the leg to save himself. I think that was to highlight the difference in their characters, especially after Shane started to get all psycho when Lori basically said "Oh rick's back, screw you..." and Carl said "oh Dad's back...i don't need you to show me how to do stuff anymore" and the whole group liked Rick better.

11. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

Would Jesus say that to people? now, now.

12. Neuropyramidal

Jesus would do much worse. Did you see the way he yelled at that poor fig tree?? I can see picking a fight with a mighty oak. But a defenseless fig? No excuse.

13. AtlantaOverrun

AtlantaOverrun Well-Known Member

First, more he screams, more Walkers are attracted to Otis and not to Shane.
    Secondly, Walkers wanna have fresh warm flesh. So a shot in the leg looks the best way to feed them. Maybe Shane could killed him because the body stays warm for a little while after death, but than he wouldn´t scream.
    And last but not least, if he didn´t shot Otis, Carl would die. Who the hell cares about Otis? He shot Carl and we only knew him for 1 episode.

14. Geek Walker

Geek Walker Member

This happens over and over in this show. Makes it look like whoever has died, kinda had it coming.

15. Cracker

Cracker Member

He shot him only in the leg because the writers had already planned the whole 'pulled hair I need to shave my head now' scene.

16. Spellraiser

Spellraiser New Member

Kind of cruel, isnt it?

Kind of cruel, just shooting him in the leg without hardly any warning. "Sorry" doesn't count as much of a warning...but the REAL cruelty perpetrated by Shane was trying to hide it from Otis's wife. Also, what of rick's python? Now Otis can never fulfill his promise to return it in good condition.

17. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

My favorite part about old threads being resurrected is stumbling on my old posts and seeing how many times i have referenced Forrest Gump.