Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Why Did Wall Start Bleeding at End?

Discussion in 'Episode 605 - Now' started by Brahmabull, Nov 8, 2015.

1. Biffster

Biffster Well-Known Member

Unless those posts were inserted in the ground 8-10 feet deep (which they're not, because there aren't any), then there really isn't a whole lot of structural integrity to begin with. The support beams should be on the inside; otherwise what holds the wall up if a large enough force pushes on it from the outside? There should really be support beams on BOTH sides of the fence if there are no post holes.

2. Biffster

Enid inserted the bars on a post, not in the sheet metal itself. At least, that's the way I saw it.

3. Biffster

The truck crashed the outside of the compound. You can see the support beams on the other side of the truck. There aren't any support beams on the inside of the compound (although there should be, because physics). ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447178813.630509.jpg

4. surviving

surviving Well-Known Member

So how did you come up with the 8 to 10 feet figure?

5. Biffster

Just an estimate. On a regular wooden fence that's 5-6 feet high, you're suppose to have the posts embedded about 3 feet in the ground, or about half their height. If these walls are 12 feet high, then 8-10 feet would be about right. I didn't see and post hole augers around anywhere. If you drilled post holes, you also wouldn't need those support beams (which appear outside the wall only strangely enough). Apply enough outside pressure and those walls will pretty much come down all by themselves with no inside bracing.

6. surviving

Youre put podts in the ground without footings. The depth required to place the columns in the ground is dependent upon the outer surface area of the footing. [MENTION=58712]Biffster[/MENTION]

7. Biffster

Well, if it was me, I'd probably put concrete down the post holes too to be on the safe side. So how deep would you go?

8. Poor Mika

Poor Mika Active Member

Tbh, before I read this thread, I thought it was Spencer's blood - in slow motion it looks like blood dripping down. I actually thought he had possibly been killed by "Morgan's wolf" trying to escape, as a cliff hanger ending... however, Neuro's assertions about Deanna not being below Spencer have convinced me otherwise - he usually knows his stuff!

9. surviving

Dont know. Depends on the force you are trying to resist. You would have to do probably about three different sets of calcs and size it for the one that in which best res.ist all the stresses resulting from the applied forces. But Im certain you would need to plant 1/3 of your column with a footer.

10. Biffster

The other thing is it's not really good storytelling to kill a character offscreen that you've just given some screen time to. The audience feels ripped off. That's why people are so pissed off about Glenn—and he's had over five years of screen time. He doesn't deserve to just be devoured in a sea of walkers, although any other outcome also seems implausible.

So no, pretty sure that wasn't Spencer, and it probably wasn't Lone Wolf McQuaid either.

11. surviving

To resist the force of the truck impact somewhere in the range of 5 ft deep by 3 ft diameter footing assuming the soil had a shear strength of 15 psi. This would about 1 1/3 cubic yards of concrete and weigh about 2 1/2 tons

12. Biffster

Dats alotta concrete. Per hole.

13. surviving

[MENTION=8175]Blueman[/MENTION] Does you agree with my accessment?

14. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

That's if there are no weak spots. Reg was an architect, but most of the crew doing the work were amateurs. I think its totally within the realm of believability that this wall has significant structural flaws in addition to the visible ones. Panels not welded or bolted together well, etc.

15. surviving

Agreed most would be inexperienced, but you would only a few experienced to oversee the others. The flaw I see in the wall is it isnt homogenous in its construction.

16. Biffster

No post holes.

17. surviving

the wall is set with concrete footings.

18. surviving

How did you come to this conclusion?

19. Biffster

It should have concrete footings for the posts, but it doesn't; that's why they have those diagonal supports on the outside (they really should be on both sides). Take a look at some of the shots. When TWD bought the town, they decided to make the supports not on the inside for aesthetic purposes. They probably also knew they might need to sell the location again at some point so they did not put post holes in the ground. You can see it if you look. That actually makes for not a very strong structure, although it is 12 feet high.

20. surviving

I have looked. The columns sit on unistruts that are set in concrete footers. The braces have anchors set in concrete. The brace are in tension which means they are pulling back against the wall and anything that pushes against it. If the wall was just sitting on top of the ground the truck would have knocked it down.