Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Why Is There Budget Issues ? Come on AMC !

Discussion in 'General AMC' started by spid77, Feb 17, 2012.

Tags:
  1. spid77

spid77 Member

It appears every time this show does anything, it seems to break every viewer count in the book. I read article after article about "the most watched finale ever"..."the most watched season opener in television history".

And yet at the the same time I read the show is having budget slashes. I also think last week's episode looked like it really didn't break the bank....they flipped a Ford Taurus I think ?

Can anyone explain to me why AMC is not sinking more into the shows budget ? I have news for AMC...if you don't do it...somebody else will. Success is always followed by remaking the same idea. I could see one of the other networks making a higher budget, more spectacular, more special effects, zombie show.

Wake up AMC.

2. Bassman

Bassman Administrator
    Staff Member

They are. Season Three was just given three extra episodes, taking it from thirteen to sixteen.

Also, the rumors of them slashing the budget have been somewhat squashed at this point. Mazarra has recently gone on record to say that AMC hasn't made any unreasonable requests and the media has just exaggerated things.

3. Damrod

Damrod Member

they have two other shows that are just doing fair that they dont own that could leave at any time. TWD is the only show that they own and can use as they will.

4. SVTRay

SVTRay Active Member

This last part of Season 2 is only going to heat up as well.

Gale Anne Hurd, Producers of TWD says this about Season 2.13, "ending in a bit of a spectacle, go big or go home," Hurd said Smiling.

As for Season 3:

5. z0mbi3 k1ng

z0mbi3 k1ng Member

Maybe they should start outsourcing all the acting to India.

Next season will star Raj Grimes and Mahatma Walsh.

6. STRINGS

STRINGS Well-Known Member

That will mean they won't need laser sights on their guns...just aim for the red dot on the forehead...:shining:

7. z0mbi3 k1ng

z0mbi3 k1ng Member

They're going to use ladyboys from Thailand for the zombie roles.

8. Felicia

Felicia Active Member

I don't know if you watch the talking dead, but there was one point last week when the guy (not Navarro) mockingly said something about filming zombies being so expensive that it lead me to believe that they found the rumor of the cost of the show that some fans moan about is pretty much one of those myterious urban legends. What did you want them to flip? A Lexus? Personally, I didn't notice what kind of car Lori might have stolen off of farm (sorry but a Taurus makes a hell of a lot more sense there than a Lexus) I'm not saying I wouldn't watch another zombie show. Hell... I am a fan of the lurking dead, I would, at least for a few episodes, even if it was utter crap. I am just saying I for one don't buy the money thing.

9. z0mbi3 k1ng

z0mbi3 k1ng Member

Some of the best film has been 'low budget.' Compare 28 Days Later & 28 Weeks Later.... 'Weeks' had a higher budget & acting costs but 'Days' was tons better.

Zombie flicks particularly lend themselves to taking advantage of low-budget tactics.... grainy film, raw sounds, first-person claustrophobic views, etc.

The wild card is finding under-rated actors with talent. Did anyone know Andrew Lincoln, Jon Bernthal, Steven Yeun, or Norman Reedus before this series? Granted, I'm no film buff, but I didn't know them at all. And they certainly weren't household names.

Would the show even feel authentic if the cast was "A-list"? No, probably not, and these actors are every bit as talented as any others. Maybe more. I think Jon Bernthal has been damn well outstanding in the role of Shane.

10. spid77

spid77 Member

Your missing my point. It doesn't matter if they flip a Tarsus or a Ferrari, what matters is that seemed to be the ONLY action sequence in the entire episode that involved 1- a zomie and 2- some type of special effect or stunt. A community college film school student could have done a better episode. I need to see the outbreak on a grander scale and less goddamn dialogue...I understand they need to establish character buy they are taking it way to far in that direction. I want this to be a HORROR show...so far its a soap opera with an occasional zombie.

11. spid77

spid77 Member

Dude---they had an entire episode with just one ZOMBIE !!!! Cut me a break !

12. iniestaone

iniestaone Member

Don't they own Breaking Bad? I know they cut TWD's budget in favor of Mad Men because they don't own Mad Men

13. Bassman

Bassman Administrator
    Staff Member

Negative. TWD is the first show owned by AMC.

14. spid77

spid77 Member

Awesome...Lol.

15. Outdoorsguy

Outdoorsguy Member

its simple really AMC has to make money for its board and its investors. every bit of money they sink into a show takes away from the bottom line. which is why so many shows on alot of channels end up cancelled no matter how large a viewing audience it might have.

they can only add so many commercials during a given show, currently most Tv shows run 40 to 45 minutes of actual show time,the rest is commercials, they can only charge so much per slot, which means ultimately they can only earn a fixed amount off of each show.

just as an example the original Battle Star Galactica was hugely popular, but the budget was so high that half way through the fiirst Season the budget was slashed and they were forced to use stock footage from previous episodes for Special effects shots, still to expensive it was canceled.

if you want them to change and cater to the viewer, send them an email explaining how you will no longer watch their channel if they do not stop screwing with shows you like, then actually stop watching. viewer numbers drop, advertisers go. its called hitting them in the wallet.

nothing wrong with them making money, even lots of money but they need to put enough back into popular shows to make them worth watching.

which also might be why TWD pushes the whole you never know who will die, every actor that leaves the show frees up the amount of money they were being paid.

aah cynicism LOL

Sony Pictures Television owns breaking bad,

But AMC owns the license, the air time and the channel, which means they spend x amount on paying for the right to show the Series. and they earn money from the commercial breaks.

#15 Outdoorsguy, May 11, 2013
    Last edited: May 11, 2013
  16. Bassman

Bassman Administrator
    Staff Member

Indeed. They fork out to air it, but it's not their show. That's why both Breaking Bad and Mad Men were shopped around to other networks when AMC started pinching pennies.

17. Sparky

Sparky Member

I read somewhere that AMC is sinking most of the profits from The Walking Dead into Mad Men, a show AMC is ramming down the public's throat.

18. rabscuttle1

rabscuttle1 Well-Known Member

Norman Reedus was in the badass Boondock Saints 1 & 2 films with Sean Patrick Flanery. Those movies have a huge cult following. A lot of people know Reedus from these movies. He was also in Pandorum, Masters of Horror: Cigarette Burns, The Notorious betty Page, Deuces Wild and several other B grade films. He's been acting since the late 90's. Even though Daryl isn't my favorite roll he's played, Norman is a pretty decent actor that's been over looked.

19. H5N1

H5N1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Andrew Lincoln was fantastic in love actually, Norman reedus I saw in alot of films.. One role was in the blade trilogy..