Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Why was Abraham's family scared of him?

Discussion in 'Episode 505 - Self-Help' started by Franklin, Nov 10, 2014.

1. JEA13

JEA13 Well-Known Member

Yes. My interpretation is as follows:
    Since food was in short supply, a band of desperate guys decided to steal what little the mother and kids had left. They were figuring on eating them too but decided they might as well rape the wife first. They were standing in line waiting their turn when Abe ,having studied Sergeant Alvin York ,employed one of York's tactics learned from his hunting days( When hunting geese walking in a line shoot progressively from the back so the ones in front dont realize what is happening). Abe picked up a can and bashed one at a time and worked his way toward the last one who just finished with his wife. Seeing the hungry look in Abes eyes ,the family decided to split and got eaten for their troubles.

2. Sixfootbrunette

3 men against a man and a tin of baked beans. Well played.

3. Fan

Fan Member

Can we entertain the idea that Abraham's wife may have just been an idiot?

4. tink

tink Well-Known Member

The comic, and also the actor said it on Talking Dead. You would never know it by watching the show though.

5. The Wolf

The Wolf Well-Known Member

Yes, I didn't know what the flashbacks that Abe's character was experiencing meant either until I watched TTD and heard Michael Cudlitz explain what had happened while he was on a run for supplies and what his "friends or neighbors" did to his wife while he was gone. Supposively in the comics it was clear what happened but in the episode "Self Help" there were so many wholes in the backstory that I didn't know what happened to his wife and children. Apparently his wife was raped by his own friends in the grocery store.
    I never read the comics, not everyone has. I think the writers need to realize this and find a way to incorporate it into the show for non-comic fans of TWD.

6. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

I think it will be brought up again and explained better in the future, during a heartfelt talk between Abraham and Rick.

7. The Wolf

The Wolf Well-Known Member

Yeah I was a little confused as to what exactly happened to Abe's wife and children but I always watch TTD after each episode and Cudlitz did an excellent job explaining what happened in that grocery store. As a matter a fact that was one of the most humorous TTD episodes this season. Josh McDermitt was funny as hell, so was Michael Cudlitz.

8. Franklin

Franklin Member

For the last time, I said the clip was about Michael saying "at work" means being a soldier as that was Abe's job. I never said that clip contained Michael's comments about Abe's family living a normal life. That's why I told Neuropyramidal to watch the Talking Dead on demand if his provider offers demand. Michael says on the Talking Dead (not the bonus clip that I posted) that Abe's family lived a normal life and one of the producers was right there. She did not correct him or say Michael's opinion is non-cannon.

9. Neuropyramidal

You said that on TTD Michael said he was a good husband and had a normal household, neither of which was said.

10. Neuropyramidal

Gosh, we hope so.

11. Franklin

Franklin Member

Michael clearly says this when they discuss what happen with the can of soup. Michael says his family lived a normal life and never saw their father in soldier mode or at work until that faithful day. Seriously go back and watch TTD because you clearly missed it.

12. Neuropyramidal

Nope. And you keep changing what he said. Sometimes it that he was a 'good husband', sometimes its 'normal household' sometimes its 'national hero on a bun'. You can't keep your lies straight. What he actually said was that his kids had never seen him 'at work' before, and they only knew him as their dad. Nothing about how good is marriage was.

And what happened to 'For the last time'?

#92 Neuropyramidal, Nov 12, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2014
  13. STRINGS

STRINGS Well-Known Member

Don't make me laff!!They weren't afraid of Abraham & his silly lil' mustache at all!! They were scared shit-less of Ray Rice who was standing in the next aisle over!!
    [​IMG]

#93 STRINGS, Nov 12, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2014
  14. FISH

FISH Member

This explains my theory that the wife didnt really know the extent of what was going on, military men in general i think shield their families from what happens at "work" this is why she reacts to seeing him in GI Joe mode, A) she is shocked by his brutality and B) she has no real knowledge of what is going on outside or its extent and as such thinks she can just leg it and not need Abe, how very wrong she was

15. Franklin

Franklin Member

Your comprehension skills are horrible. Please get an education instead of being willfully ignorant. A good husband is part of a normal household. It's one in the same as you can't have a normal household with a bad husband. You really need common sense as well. I said he ALSO (please write this word five times and define because you are uneducated) said his family never saw him work as a soldier.

16. Neuropyramidal

Are you an actual human or did your mom just have a poop that could talk? On TTD it was never said that he was a good husband OR had a normal household. And again, you sure do get angry when you're called out in your web of lies.

17. tehwalkingdead

This has maybe been said since, but wasn't the scene heavily censored? So the original probably made sense, and the DvD will as well. We're just left with what they were allowed to show.

18. Alina

Alina Well-Known Member

Er, having read the comic you know that Abe and his wife were already estranged by the time the ZA came around so this suggests that it was not a happy household. And Abe's character as portrayed on the tv show makes it very clear why Abe would not make a good father or husband. He is completely unable to comprehend anyone else's point of view and willing to take ridiculous risks to achieve his mission. He does not play well with others.

Are you trying to convey that sort of, gay, OCD English teacher, military man vibe? Because you're doing a good job of it.

19. JEA13

JEA13 Well-Known Member

I dont know if scene was censored. I am hoping as ,some have suggested ,that we learn additional details in some later episode.

20. tink

tink Well-Known Member

And what happened to 'for the last time'!!?? I keep hoping it's true, but it never is.