Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Why would you camp outside?

Discussion in 'Episode 104 - Vatos' started by Loc, Jun 23, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Loc

Loc Administrator
    Staff Member

One thing that bother me was the whole camping outside thing. I know they probably didn't know what to do but camping outside had to be the dumbest thing they could have possibly done. Even a barn would have been better protection then a tent. Not surprised they got invaded at the end of this episode.

2. Bassman

Bassman Administrator
    Staff Member

With the exception of the night of the attack, didn't they take shifts and always have someone watching out? Or maybe i'm confusing the show with the comic...

True, they could have chosen better shelter but at least they were away from heavily populated areas. While there may not be protective walls, there also aren't walls to get you trapped in. As seen in Night of the Living Dead, if you're in a house and it gets surrounded....you're up shit creek without a paddle. So at least in the quarry they had many options of where to run. Plus they were also close to the city for supplies.

3. AVC

AVC Member

True, they thought as as they were away from population, they were safe. But the woods gave them no early warning. I would have preferred a farm house in the middle of a large plain. Least you could see em coming

4. CoffeeZombie

CoffeeZombie New Member

God, don't get me started! Why camp outside? Why not hunker down in a building with doors that lock? Why not drive something that can mow down zombies, like a tank? Where would you find one of those? Hmmm...

Wouldn't the waves of zombies be a lot like bears in Yellowstone? Don't feed them, stay in the car, take only pictures, you know the drill. I'd be much more spooked if they showed more than a handful of zombies in each long shot, you know? Can't they CGI a few thousand "dummy" zombies into some of the scenes? Many of the scenes with "lots" of zombies are a little underwhelming.

"Ah, there are 12 zombies shambling slowly toward us from 1 direction! What do we do!?"

Uh, drive away?

5. Jakobi

Jakobi Administrator

Haha, sup CoffeeZombie...funny man.

6. Rapscallion

Rapscallion Well-Known Member

Yes. Dale and Shane took turns guarding the camp, but the chance to enjoy a hot meal and behave like actual campers made them lower their guard.

7. sarah_l16

sarah_l16 New Member

I dont know how they got any sleep in those tents, every noise would have me jumping! I would have slept in the campervan or one of the cars. You cant trust ppl to keep watch either! People who keep watch always fall asleep! lol

8. RicksRightHand

I thought they were camping just outside of the city in the event that help came in, they would reach the survivors camp before they got to the city. As stupid as it was, there was definitely logic behind the decision... plus they were close enough to the city for Glen to go back and forth to pick up supplies when they were needed.

9. HockeyMomChris

HockeyMomChris Active Member

Just a few thoughts on the subject!!

I think they have been trying to get us all in the element of the whole show in general. Not knowing what the walkers are going to do and obviously assuming they'd stay put where they were, they felt safe camping outdoors as they had been. We obviously saw by the last episode how they knew there was a sense of urgency to find a more safe place to hunker down. As a viewer, I felt this way until the camp was attacked but even after they were at the farm there was still a small sense of "are we really safe?". Can't wait to see how this and the prison affects them in season 3.

10. HisMrs

HisMrs Member

Well if the world is as overrun as we are led to believe in the show, it's a hell of a lot safer out in the middle of nowhere than to be in the city or even in a small town. The further removed from civilization you are, while still having access to places to get supplies, the better. Towns/cities equal people, and in the ZA, groups of people=walkers. You definitely want to get as far away from the walkers as possible, so it makes sense to me that they would retreat to campsites in the woods.

11. STRINGS

STRINGS Well-Known Member

Heard that! I'd trust no one to cover my ass in that situation. I'd sleep on top of that friggin' RV of Dales if that was the setup...

12. sarah_l16

sarah_l16 New Member

Yeah I would sleep on the roof, in fact I would probably spend most of my time on the roof, I'd b a way better look out than dale!

13. Duzy

Duzy Active Member

As far as the show is concerned, we have to try and remember that they haven't had any zombie education. With that said and if memory serves, they were headed into town when they saw the air strike. I'm guessing that they just pulled off there and sat for a day trying to figure out what to do. I'm sure that they were thinking something along the lines of; well, they should be here any minute now. A day turned into two and so on. With Shane's lackluster ability as a leader (no real security to mention of) he was probably content with sitting there thinking it would all get better somehow. It wasn't until a walker showed up in camp that there seemed to be any hint of pro-activeness on the part of the group.

As for trusting others to keep watch; I wouldn't have trusted a single one of them either. Maybe Shane or Daryl, but aside from that nope. I would have been sleeping on the top of the RV. Kick me off, I dare ya.

14. Outdoorsguy

Outdoorsguy Member

zombie education or not, the survivors have seen multitudes of people ripped apart and eaten, had zombies..er... walkers get through doors, and yet they arent bright enough to find RVs or a safer place to sleep. between myself and civilization,Two hours away, there are ten places on the side of the road that sell RVs and travel Trailers, and two places that Sell Semi trucks with the Huge apartment like sleeper units attached. thats not counting all the RVs and Travel trailers you see in people Yards. I would be stopping and grabbing one at the earliest moment LOL.

15. HisMrs

HisMrs Member

I like the idea of sleeping on the roofs of buildings... Granted that the walkers never learn to climb, they should be ok.

16. ballincrazie

ballincrazie Member

hmm not sure most probably not

17. Duzy

Duzy Active Member

ZSG states that about 10% can climb ladders. Thing is, they wont move a ladder to where you are and the chances of a climbing zombie actually making it to the ladder without others pushing it out of the way is pretty low.

18. HockeyMomChris

HockeyMomChris Active Member

I just read what I added yesterday over again and realized they had cans strung around the camp to act as an alarm. I love how after the attack (I believe it was anyway) they just suggested putting more cans up. Uh, obviously that didn't work the first time because they pretty much got in undetected, duh!!

19. john1021

john1021 Member

Shutting yourself up in a barn or a house only gives you shelter from surprise attacks, but if a major herd shows up....you still need to act fast and get out of there asap.

20. Duzy

Duzy Active Member

Having a base of operations that never stopped moving unless you were off of it would be ideal. Rotating drivers, and just keep moving. A big circle of supply points to stop at would be awesome too.