What’s the summer bringing to Rocket League? Anything fun?
Psyonix, San Diego video game developer, has announced Radical Summer, a brand new ‘80s themed in-game event for Rocket League! Beginning June 10, Radical Summer takes place over nine weeks and celebrates iconic movies, television, and culture from the 1980s, through the addition of limited-time game modes, new items, and two Premium DLC car packs: Ghostbusters and Knight Rider.
The event will roll out in three different celebrations, with new content available during each phase. Like past in-game events, players can earn ‘Cassettes’ by playing Online Matches that can be redeemed for various items from beloved ‘80s franchises.
The three celebrations and overall content of Radical Summer are:
- ’80s Blockbusters – June 10 to July 1
- The Blockbusters celebration kicks off Radical Summer with the launch of the Ghostbusters Ecto-1 Car Pack on June 10. The pack will include the Ghostbusters Ecto-1 Battle-Car, Ecto-1 Wheels, Proton Pack Boost, Slimer Topper, Ghostbusters Player Banner, Ghostbusters Avatar Border, and the Stay Puft Goal Explosion for $1.99 (or regional equivalent).
- The first limited-time game mode for Radical Summer is Ghost Hunt. In this spooky 3v3 mode players must fire a proton stream to capture the ball and carry it to the opposing team’s Containment Zone to score a goal.
- Additional ‘80s franchises featured in the Blockbusters phase — as in-game items in the Radical Summer Event Store — are Back to the Future, E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial, The Goonies and Karate Kid. Additional details on the landing page.
- ’80s Culture – July 1 to July 22
- The action-packed Spike Rush Game Mode will start the Radical Summer Culture celebration on July 1. Spike Rush is a 3v3 mode where each player has the Spike power-up from Rumble Mode that can be activated to carry the ball up field.
- New in-game items highlighting the iconic culture of the ‘80s will be available in Radical Summer’s Event Store.
- ’80s Television – July 22 to August 12
- The Knight Rider Car Pack kicks off the last celebration of Radical Summer dedicated to television. The pack will feature K.I.T.T., the high-speed, talking futuristic car outfitted with high-tech gadgets and personality of its own from the hit ‘80s show, alongside Knight Rider themed items. More information will be revealed later.
- Beach Ball Game Mode is the final limited-time game mode in Radical Summer. It is a 2v2 mode inspired by beach volleyball with a larger ball, low ball gravity and Curveball mutator activated.
- Additional ‘80s franchises featured in the Television phase as in-game items in the Radical Summer Event Store are DreamWorksVoltron Legendary Defender and WWE. Additional info to follow later this summer.